Volunteer at the Asian Physics Olympiad 2019
If you’re looking for the experience of a lifetime and want to be an integral part of Asia’s toughest physics competition then read on.
General requirements of all volunteers
As a volunteer you are 18 years of age by the time of APhO 2019 (born before 12 May 2001), fluent in English, have good knowledge of Australia, are open-minded, dedicated, responsible and ready to commit yourself for the duration of the event.
Volunteer roles available
Academic Assistant (6-9 May 2019)
You assist the Academic Committee with exam infrastructure set-up, exam printing/scanning and trouble-shooting.
Requirements: APhO/IPhO alumni and/or have Physics background, great time management, attention to detail, confidence to troubleshoot a range of technologies.
Marker (7-11 May 2019)
You mark the exams and discuss the corrections with the Team Leaders.
Requirements: Minimum Honours/Master’s degree in physics, or current PhD study in physics. Ability to be available for intense bursts of non-standard hours during the competition. Familiarity with physics in an Asian language is a bonus.
Team Guides and Leader Guides (5-13 May 2019)
Accompany and guide students or leaders of the 25 delegations. You will be responsible for the well-being of your team, making sure they have the best APhO experience, and ensuring they are at the right place at the right time.
Requirements: Enjoy meeting new people, excellent time management, solution-oriented.
Media Volunteers (5-13 May 2019)
During APhO 2019, a four-page newsletter featuring articles, news, interviews and photos will be published daily. We need your help to collate content, copy-edit and proofread to ensure they are publication-ready. A number of communication activities will also be carried out in connection with the event such as posting live updates on social media platforms and APhO website.
Requirements: Editorial and science communications skills, attention to detail, strict adherence to deadlines, creative with good visual sense, familiar with social media platforms.
Event Crew (5-13 May 2019)
You will get to experience different aspects of APhO and will be the all-round support member of our Volunteer Team.
Requirements: Excellent time management, organised, flexible, responsive, good communication skills.
Volunteer role descriptions
- Your chance to build an international, scientific network and socialise with other volunteers.
- Gain new skills in the organisation of major international events.
- You will get cool shirts and other merchandise items.
- We will cover your local accommodation, transportation and meals expenses.
- As a Team Guide you will accompany your team to all events and excursions. You will get to observe the night sky at Stockport Observatory, cuddle a koala at Cleland Conservation Park, kick a footy with the Adelaide Crows, enjoy a snag on the barbie at Glenelg beach and much more.
- You will attend special events such as opening and closing ceremonies, the APhO Address by Professor Michelle Simmons and the volunteer after-party.
- The friendships, camaraderie, and good times with participants and volunteers will make this a rewarding, unforgettable and worthwhile experience.
- Minimum age requirement to volunteer at APhO 2019 is 18 years of age. All volunteers must be willing to undergo a Working with Children Check.
- Cost of travel to/from Adelaide is at volunteer’s own expense.
UPDATE: Expressions of Interest to volunteer at APhO 2019 have now closed and are currently being reviewed by our Volunteer Team. Successful applicants will be contacted when applications open in January 2019.